Sunday, February 10, 2008

Importing Syndrome

When someone brings up the idea of importing sculpture to place in the fair city for their beautification project, I come unwired! I am truly amazed, right after the comment "We support our local Artist's" comes "What do you think about bringing in some sculpture from overseas to place around the city for our beautification project." Now is it just me or did the support for local artists' just go flying out the window! I understand budgets and managed spending, but there are truly viable options that could be put into play before resorting to buying imported sculpture, just because of budget constraints. Now don't get me wrong I have no objections to buying art from Sculptors who do not reside in our fair country( we own several works ourselves), but we are not talking about sculpture by sculptors but mass produced, poor quality, yard ornamentation, from mostly government owned business. Yes, the price is one fifth what you would pay for a work of art from a local sculptor, but is it worth putting local sculptors out of business! Now this fair city just happens to be listed as one of the top small art communities in the United States, will lining the streets with imported sculpture help them keep this status, I think NOT!

The views expressed are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of other sculptors or organizations with which I am affiliated.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think you should name the city!
MomzillaonLine